Thursday, February 5, 2009

Drugs aren't necessarily the answer.

Yesterday my therapist encouraged me to consider taking anti-anxiety or anti-depression medication to help me to deal with all this stuff. He's suggested it before and I've resisted. It's not that I'm opposed to these kinds of medications -- most people I know are on one or the other and I've seen genuine results. It's just not for me, not right away. I don't really understand the push for drugs as a tool, especially when I'm actively exploring other options. I need to give these other things - like breathing exercises - a chance first.

Just because I cry during our sessions doesn't mean I'm "depressed" and just because I experience anxiety when I apply the topical medication doesn't mean I'm "anxious." I have had bouts with anxiety here and there, so I definitely know what that feels like. And this isn't that.

3 comments:

  1. every has their own thing... but i used some antianxiety stuff until i was 'cured' and then i winged myself off of it. i truly hope the breathing exercises work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you have overall anxiety with this or was it somewhat isolated for when you were doing pt? I have days where I feel anxious, but for the most part, I feel OK. I wonder if I need more of a short-term anti-anxiety medication? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand what you mean. On my first appointment, my therapist said something to me about possibly taking an anti-anxiety drug for my next medical appointment. I'm not completely opposed to it, but I also don't want to rely on drugs. And I understand the need to cry during your sessions. It's really emotional having to talk about your feelings! I feel the need to cry too but I'm not depressed either. And I feel the same way about anxiety too. Hang in there! I hope you're doing OK!

    ReplyDelete