Thursday, January 15, 2009

It Has a Name!

When I was 25 years old, I came across the word "vaginismus" in a book about sexual health. It was the first time I realized that what was wrong with me, what I had struggled with for years, had a name. Vaginismus.

This was after years of seeing therapists and gynecologists, searching for an answer. I spent a lot of time and money and didn't get very far until the day I found this word and read the symptoms. I remember being in a bookstore coffee shop and my heart dropping as I read. This is me, this sounds like me.

I've never been able to use tampons or have sex. I have my vagina to thank for that - vaginismus is a condition that causes the muscles around the vagina to contract involuntarily, forming a kind of impenetrable wall. Before finding out about this condition, I thought I was alone. But now I know that there are a lot of women who are experiencing the same thing - many are like me, who know what it's called and are furiously working toward overcoming it. But many more were like me pre-25, living in the dark, afraid and hopeless.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Thanks for adding me to your blogroll. I'm adding you to mine right now :) I've been looking and looking for a blog similar to mine, but I haven't really found one til now. I was beginning to feel really alone. But I joined an online support group on vaginismus, and now I know I'm definitely not alone. I'm looking forward to reading your posts. Best of luck to you in overcoming this!

    ReplyDelete